Based on the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Language standards, our Spanish program begins in Primary (ages 3 to 6) and builds a strong foundation of Spanish language and culture through Middle Years.
The Spanish curriculum emphasizes listening and comprehension at the Primary level and incorporates more speaking in the Lower Elementary (ages 6 to 9) level. The Upper Elementary curriculum balances listening, speaking, reading, and writing. At each level, children learn strategies to approach a new language, a new culture, and ethnic diversity.
The program also prepares students to use the language to communicate in real-life situations. To do this, children are surrounded by the language through the use of puppets, props, story-telling and picture cues, Spanish songs using movement, and Spanish poems and fables using rhymes.
Get to know our Spanish teacher, Ms. Gissela Nader.
Where did you grow up?
I was born and raised in Lima-Peru.
What is the best thing about being a teacher?
I have three reasons why I am passionate about being a teacher:
- The joy and satisfaction that it gives me to see the progress of my students and to be part of their academic, cultural, and psychological growth.
- Generate interpersonal ties with them through my culture, my experiences, knowledge and skills and the idea that one day they will remember me for who I was.
- Every day I learn something different that make me laugh and learn from them.
What is your educational background? Where and what did you study?
- Licentiate in Psychology from the University Inca Garcilaso de la Vega Lima-Peru
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, officially Accredited Degree in the United State.
- Licentiate in Psychology, officially Accredited Degree in the Complutense University of Madrid-Spain.
- Special Education Certificate EC-12 grades in Accelerated Teacher Certification Program at Houston Community College.
- Latin American & Spanish Dances Training at Las Brisas del Titicaca Academy Lima-Peru
- Bible Seminary (Bachelor of Arts in Christian Studies not completed). Katy-Texas
What are your “trapped on a desert island” movies?
- Gone with the Wind
- Under the Tuscan Sun
- The Notebook
- P.S. I Love You
- The Passion of The Christ
- Rain Man
- A beautiful Mind
- Black Swan